How to Get Rid of Shiny Skin & Open Pores
When your body is producing too much natural oil, it can lead to shiny skin, which can also lead to open pores. These enlarged, visible pores give your face an uneven appearance rather than the soft, smooth look you’d like to have. While changing hormones are almost always the cause, excess oil production in the pores may also be generated by stress, or may be an early indicator of underlying medical issues.
What can I do about shiny skin and open pores?
- Use a facial wash that’s clinically proven to remove excess skin oils (sebum) without over-drying the skin
- Always follow with a gentle toner.
- Use an oil-free moisturiser.
- Follow a regular cleansing and exfoliating routine, preferably with oil-absorbing alpha or beta hydroxy acids that loosen and remove dead surface skin and smooth over rough uneven patches.
- If you use makeup, start with a light application of oil-free foundation in a matte finish. Shiny skin coupled with too much foundation may actually make your pores look more prominent.
- Control shine throughout the day with blotting sheets or freshen up your foundation with a dusting of translucent powder. The tiny, weightless particles prevent colour pigments from building up around the edges of your pores to reduce their visibility.
If the condition persists, talk to your doctor or dermatologist.